REQUEST: Network Interface Failover and multi-DNS resolution

Carlos Rodrigues carlos.efr at mail.telepac.pt
Thu Aug 12 19:04:56 UTC 2004

I have a box with two ethernet cards, each one connected to a different
local network ("staff" and "students"). Each one of the networks has a
DNS server to resolve internal names.

The problem is: I can only resolve hosts that are on the eth0 connected
LAN ("staff"). To access hosts on the other network I have to use their
IP address directly.

This prompts me to request two features (independent of each other):

   1. be able to resolve names using both DNSes;
   2. that there be some failover for network connections.

By failover I mean being able to define one interface as "primary". The
primary interface would set the default gateway and all that
global-unique stuff (including resolv.conf, without feature 1.).
When that interface goes down, those global settings are changed to the
ones provided by another active interface. If the primary interface goes
up again, it restores the initial configuration.

This would be very useful for cases such as a laptop with wired and
wireless networking. The "wired" connection would be the primary
interface. The "wireless" connection would take over if the "wired" one
goes down (they may be different networks, e.g. we have a totally open
and untrusted wireless lan and our linux users can't just unplug the
cable and move around, they are forced to restart the interfaces).

Both of these work in windows, FYI.

I guess that feature 1. is not at the distro level, however I don't
really know where uptream to suggest it.

If feature 2. is feasible I could put it in bugzilla, don't really know
under which package though.

Carlos Rodrigues