Fedora Startup Problems

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Fri Aug 13 08:36:18 UTC 2004

Hi, sorry to spam the list with bug reports.
I usually stick to bugzilla, but when my system becomes unusable
this is not cool at all, and I think deserves attention.
I rebooted to start up the 517 kernel. Initrd loads, the xfs module
loads, and I get "xfs error 6", after which the kernel panics
since it can't start init. (BUG 1)

So I reboot under 515, but the initscripts
hang on IIIMF forever (BUG 2) I don't understand why the initscripts
would hang on any service - is it not possible to time those and kill
them if they create problems? I've had to deal with this before.

I decide to reboot in single mode - 515 kernel...
I add single to the grub kernel line, and to my surprise the kernel
panics since it cannot start init. Removing single from the command line
fixes the problem. (BUG 3)

So I finally have to do an interactive boot on an older kernel
without single mode to get my system to work.

Can some of those bugs please be fixed?
I can test whatever is necessary.