ip6.int

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Sat Aug 14 14:29:42 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 02:11:35PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> It seems that ip6.int, as used by glibc for IPv6 reverse DNS, is dead.

Yep, as decided about three years ago. But now, ip6.arpa delegation
for 3ffe::/16 is there, so there's no good reason anymore to support
the ip6.int domain.

> My 'fix' on FC2 boxes so far has been to upgrade to glibc-2.3.3-43 and
> add 'options no-ip6-dotint' to /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> That's a partially successful workaround but it doesn't seem to work
> where the resolv.conf is created by pppd or by dhclient -- the options
> seem to go missing then. Should we change glibc's default, and ship an
> erratum for FC2? Or is there a better answer?

Ideally, glibc should do:

- nibble format in ip6.arpa
if that doesn't succeed:
- nibble format in ip6.int

no bitstring queries!

Current FC1 glibc does:

- bitstring format in ip6.arpa
- nibble format in ip6.int

It would be REALLY cool to have a glibc upgrade also for FC1, as more
and more ISPs are dropping their ip6.int and bitstring format queries
don't work... so IPv6 reverse DNS resolving is quickly going down the
drain for FC1.

Regards,
Daniel