Debug differences between 386 and x86_64.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Aug 16 01:49:56 UTC 2004

I have a favorite trick for debugging daemon processes: put a "sleep(300)"
right before the section of code I want to debug, start the daemon, when it
hits the sleep I find the process, and attach the debugger to it.

Under the 386 kernel, the debugger breaks into the sleep() call, and the
"finish" gdb command immediately terminates the sleep(); then I proceed to
debug the code.

When I try this trick on Opteron, I find that the "finish" command does not
immediately terminate.  The process seems to continue to sleep for the
prescribed amount of time.  Obviously, this slows things down.  Is there a
trick that I can do to immediately terminate the sleep syscall on Opteron?