Several Different kernel related (?) problems

david paeme david.paeme at belbone.net
Tue Aug 17 07:35:01 UTC 2004

The window scaling thing in 2.6.7 kernels could also be the reason why
i'm having trouble retrieving email from my isp (skynet.be).

I can get pop3 email with all 2.6.6 kernels, but not with the latest
2.6.7 (referring to official fedora kernels, of course)

It also looks like my last tcp packet doesn't arrive at my isp, since i
don't get any response after a 'larger' pop command (list, retr)...

gotta keep on searching...

-----------------------
(a bit later)

I just tried to disable window scaling via sysctl, and hey... it works
again! (sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling=0)

maybe you can try to do that, and see if it works for your client...

does anyone have an idea what might be wrong on the isp's routers to
have these problems? (they're using cisco and juniper iron...) or is it
a kernel bug?

thanks,

bye,

david.