Better host security was Re: Several Different kernel related (?) problems

Stephen J Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 17 13:06:21 UTC 2004

Hans Kristian Rosbach wrote:
>>I was wrong, it just happened again.
>>

> As predicted, the OOM killer did it's job.
>
> The problem is actually that some cracker has managed to upload
> httpds.c into /tmp/.bd/ (via apache, still investigating how).
> He then managed to compile and run it.
>
> I took a look at the source code, and it seems to be a DDOS util.
> Why it killed our server instead of the target of the DDOS I do
> not know, but I guess it might be due to our firewall rejecting
> all the attempts to connect.
>
> I guess I'll fix this problem the same way I did at another server.
> I'll make a partition for /tmp and mount it with noexec, or are
> there better ways to do that?

On public servers, I now put
/tmp
/var/tmp

as seperate partitions with noexec,nosuid on them. We may also put nodev
on them but I am not sure if that broke things or not. Each are limited
to 100->500 megs in size. We were looking at a script that did an hourly
cleanup of files that were in it so that nothing stayed too long, but I
think we dropped that in case we needed to keep an audit trail.

We tried mounting other parts of the system as ro unless an update was
done but I think that caused a couple of problems with the version of RH
we had and some python items that wanted to make new .pyc.

I am hoping SELinux for dummies gets published or that the NSA does a
'SELinux Bootcamp' although I hope without drill seargeants. I am not
sure I can still handle an Army or Marine Drill Sgt yelling at me to
keep my ACLs in line.

'Mister is that an AVC message I see there.. GIVE ME TWENTY'.

Although my weight would probably go down.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645