multihomed NFS automounts.

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Fri Aug 20 09:04:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:18:20 -0500
"Jeremy A. Rosengren" <jeremy at rosengren.org> wrote:

> Sorry for the detail, I want to make sure my question is understood :)
>
> At the office, we use NIS automounts extensively.  Quite often, we'll
> have the same data mirrored in multiple offices, located in different
> physical buildings.  The automounter in Solaris supports multihomed
> automount maps, so that a client machine will try to mount the closest
> server (ie, on its subnet) first before trying others.  For example:
>
> #ypcat -k auto_project
> project1	fileserver1,fileserver2:/vol/vol0/data/project1

It looks to me like this functionality is already contained in recent releases
of autofs. From /usr/share/doc/autofs-4.1.3/README.replicated-server

Supported forms for mount paths are:

Normal single-host (these are unchanged)
<path> host:/path/path

Multiple replicated hosts, same path:
<path> host1,host2,hostn:/path/path

This will do an initial RPC call with a .1 second timeout to all hosts to
find best match.  If this fails, it will try a 10 second timeout, if this
fails it takes the first host.

Multiple hosts, some with same path, some with another
<path> host1,host2:/blah host3:/some/other/path

Works as expected

Multiple replicated hosts, different (potentially) paths:
<path> host1:/path/pathA host2:/path/pathB

Same as above with RPC calls..

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |