Lastest Kernel update breaks k3b

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Aug 20 15:17:59 UTC 2004

>>>>> "AvdV" == Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com> writes:

AvdV> what is the bug number you filed during the testing phase of
AvdV> this kernel?

That's kind of harsh; I tested the kernel during the testing phase,
but not on the machine used by Mr. Important Professor who wants to
burn CDs but to whom I'm not dumb enough to give root access.  K3b
includes a simple file manager and there's a nice little "delete" menu
item.  "vmlinuz?  I don't need that!" and guess who's reinstalling the
system?

Faced with the choice of giving them root (theoretically allowing them
to destroy the drive and to do other bad things) or backing off to the
previous kernel (theoretically allowing them to destroy the drive), I
think I'll take the latter.

I know the kernel folks are hard at work on this and I'm sure things
will work themselves out soon.

 - J<