esound sound quality regression

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 03:30:24 UTC 2004

Hi all,

Sound quality when playing music using ESD output has been fine until
recently.. I'd guess it was the upgrade from 0.2.34-3 to 0.2.35-1 that
changes things. I have a Centrino laptop that uses the snd_intel8x0
Alsa driver for sound, and before esound has always run at 48 kHz and
things work fine.

Now esound defaults to 44.1 kHz and the sound output.. vibrates a lot.
Unfortunately there is no way to select the preferred sample rate
using the GNOME sound capplet.. I had to kill esd from the command
line, and then restart it (without the -terminate flag, otherwise when
it stops and GNOME launches a new esd, it is started with the wrong
sample rate again).

Should this go to gnome-devel or gnome-desktop-devel instead? Please advise.

Thanks,

Michel Salim 林智勇
http://salimma.livejournal.com