multihomed NFS automounts.

raven at themaw.net raven at themaw.net
Sun Aug 22 11:57:59 UTC 2004

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, Jeremy A. Rosengren wrote:

> Ian Kent wrote:

> >>If you do "man 5 autofs" and look for "Replicated Server", does that
> >>do what you're looking for?
> >>
> >>   Replicated Server
> >>         Multiple replicated hosts, same path:
> >>         <path> host1,host2,hostn:/path/path
> >>
> >>         Multiple hosts, some with same path, some with another
> >>         <path> host1,host2:/blah host3:/some/other/path
> >>
> >>         Multiple replicated hosts, different (potentially) paths:
> >>         <path> host1:/path/pathA host2:/path/pathB
> >>
> >>         Mutliple weighted, replicated hosts same path:
> >>         <path> host1(5),host2(6),host3(1):/path/path
> >>
> >>         Multiple weighted, replicated hosts different (potentially) paths:
> >>         <path> host1(3):/path/pathA host2(5):/path/pathB
> >

> > Well how do you like that. I don't even remember updating the man page.
> >
> > You need to be a little careful here as this work is fairly recent. There
> > were several difficulties with that were fixed along the way.
> >
> > Jeff Moyer has the latest rpms on his people page at
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/~jmoyer
> >
> > If you have problems then the autofs list is the place to get help.

> Excellent information, thanks!  I was having some problems with the
> autofs-4.1.3 package that was in rawhide as of a few days ago -- some of
> my multiple-host automounts seemed to be picking the first host, while
> other automounts that also listed the same hosts were working correctly.
>   I'll start tracking Jeff Moyer's packages and the autofs list.

As it happened corrections were made after 4.1.3. Jeff sometimes ends up
with patches that have different names to mine so addressing the question
to the list should uncover the situation.

The first nominated host problem sounds like the first problem we had (the
fact that it didn't actually work).

Ian