[rawhide social experiments] kernel-source(code) package removed once again ... (was: How to build kernel-sourcecode-2.6.8-1.525)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 16:04:44 UTC 2004

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 11:08:19 -0400, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:
> Umm nope. Arjan is right here. The end user built modules don't need and
> actually can't safely use kernel-sourcecode. BTW one thing you might
> want to look at in this area is DKMS which is perhaps the current best
> of breed management tool for this problem space.

I'd really really like it if someone inside the fence line could find
(or be allocated) the time to sit down and think through DKMS and see
if it makes sense to provide DKMS in core,  as the preferred solution
to some of the add-on kernel-module problems. I don't know if if DKMS
can solve all of the add-on module issues, I'm no expert, but I'd have
to agree that right now DKMS looks like a best path forward to me.

-jef