[rawhide social experiments] kernel-source(code) package removed once again ... (was: How to build kernel-sourcecode-2.6.8-1.525)

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sun Aug 22 16:17:50 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 12:04:44PM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> I'd really really like it if someone inside the fence line could find
> (or be allocated) the time to sit down and think through DKMS and see
> if it makes sense to provide DKMS in core,  as the preferred solution

Actually thats already happening.

> to some of the add-on kernel-module problems. I don't know if if DKMS
> can solve all of the add-on module issues, I'm no expert, but I'd have
> to agree that right now DKMS looks like a best path forward to me.

DKMS doesn't seem to solve a lot of problems that packaging the stuff up
in rpms nicely does. It provides a way to rebuild modules nicely and it
looks like a good tool for administering that bit.

I'm not sure it needs to be in core for Fedora since add on drivers can
requires: dkms it if appropriate but I'd like to hear views on the Fedora
side.