syslog-ng to replace syslogd

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Aug 22 20:28:40 UTC 2004

> I've added the below comment, but since I get the feeling a nice big
> flamewar is coming anyway (it's been what.. 2, 3 hours since the last
> one?) I'll be happy to start it.
>

> Oh god.  Please no! The questions from my users will never ever ever end.

What did you do when things switched from apache 1.3 to apache 2? The
config files changed there, too.

You couldn't do that migration w/o munging files.

moreover, how many users REALLY touch their syslogd config files? I'd
bet it's something like 2% who ever touch them. Most just rely on the
defaults to dtrt.

> If you want a nicer syslog daemon, how about metalog[1] or at least
> something with a config syntax that doesn't require a PhD in Physics
> understand?
>
> [1] - http://metalog.sourceforge.net/

metalog hasn't been updated or maintained in over a year. A stable
release in over 2 years.

Syslog-ng is being actively maintained.

-sv