upgrade to rawhide report

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Mon Aug 23 03:57:28 UTC 2004

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 10:21 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >
> > - kudzu used eth1 and eth2 instead of eth0 and eth1 for the
> >   two network cards; more oddly, sometimes it gets it right but
> >   on reboot it seems to remove eth0 and add eth2. Also, it insists that
> >   airo has to be eth0, and e100 eth1, while in FC2 it insisted the
> >   opposite. I've been deleting modprobe.conf, hwconfig,
> >   sysconfig/networking/devices/*, sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*,
> >   sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/* and rebooting over
> >   and over trying to get a correct config to be autodetected and
> >   "stick", no luck yet
>
> BTW, when using NetworkManager for desktops, do we really need network-
> scripts and sysconfig/networking at all?

I am a little confused. Does this mean you would have a different network
config scheme for desktops as opposed to servers?

> It feels to me like many problems I've had with networking have come
> down to the fact that the configuration is in multiple places:
> modprobe.conf, hwconf, network-scripts, sysconfig/networking;
> it doesn't seem that well-defined how it all works... maybe I'm just
> dense though.

I agree it is not well documented, but years of experience tells me how
to get it working. :-) I would not be very happy if suddenly all that I know
about how networking works on the desktop is different from my servers.

Hopefully I am missing a key point here.

Tom