upgrade to rawhide report

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 04:33:48 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 23:57 -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:
> I am a little confused. Does this mean you would have a different network
> config scheme for desktops as opposed to servers?

No, but you might use the scheme differently for desktop and server and
have aspects of the scheme's design that are most useful in a desktop or
server context. If that makes sense.

> I agree it is not well documented, but years of experience tells me how
> to get it working. :-) I would not be very happy if suddenly all that I know
> about how networking works on the desktop is different from my servers.

Of course, it's sort of a requirement for desktop that you need not know
how the scheme works ;-)

What NetworkManager does, in essence, is that if you have a wired
ethernet link it dhcp's it, and if you don't it lets you choose a
wireless essid from any that are available, and also specify the
encryption key etc., then dhcp's that. It could be extended to let you
provide a static IP config in a similar way to the wireless info.
If you plug/unplug the network cable then NetworkManager dynamically
moves between wired and wireless. Hopefully I got that right, I'm sure
Dan will correct me if not.

This is obviously nonsense on a server, and the answer is "don't use it
on a server" ;-) You can of course also just configure desktops with
hardwired static IPs in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

Havoc