upgrade to rawhide report

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Mon Aug 23 11:56:37 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 12:48, Alan Cox wrote:
> The problem with that view (which indeed was certainly my view and I fixed
> some drivers) is that from "up" it can take 60 seconds to get gigabit
> negotiation completed. In addition it really mucks up power management
> code in all the drivers.

I have a set of IBM servers with E1000 type ethernet NICs onboard which
are incapable of DHCP because they take longer to negotiate onto the
network than the DHCP timeouts.  More amusingly, if coupled with cisco
switches they can badly negotiate to a state where ping and packet
turn-round time is of the order of 10 seconds.  Where the hell it stores
the data I have no idea...

	Nigel.