upgrade to rawhide report

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 12:45:57 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 07:46 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 09:37:56PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > BTW, when using NetworkManager for desktops, do we really need network-
> > scripts and sysconfig/networking at all?
>
> Define "desktop". If you mean "dhcp managed disposable splat" then probably
> not, but desktop also covers a large multitude of other things including
> secure IPsec networks,

Yes, for this you definitely need static configuration on the machine.
Handling VPNs is tough, but we need to do it.

> static addressing,

If you want to do that, you just don't use NetworkManager.

> cable modems,

My experience is these are all just DHCP.

> ppp, ...

This is tricky in a NetworkManager world, since there is no way to know
when the user has plugged in a phone cable into their modem (AFAIK).
Probably we will just require using system-config-network for this case.