upgrade to rawhide report

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 20:15:30 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 16:55, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 15:39 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
>
> > That sounds good but I'm talking about when the DHCP server doesn't
> > provide this information. Are when it's inaccurate, e.g. you're at a
> > customer's site where people login with their Windows accounts to the
> > proxy which is what DHCP propagates. All external people are expected to
> > use another proxy.
>
> At least here at the Westford office we have a separate area (network)
> for external people, so if we had a http proxy that could be given by
> the dhcp server for that separate network.

This is all fine and dandy and shows that our IS actually knows what it
does. But a "sane" network setup (where sane means easy on our tools ;-)
can't be assumed in every case and is really outside the area of
influence of the exemplar person owning the laptop and by proxy nothing
that can be assumed as operational parameters for our tools. This is
like the situation of web designers who have to keep in mind different
types of browsers, it would be ideal if all would adhere to standards,
but they don't. From my experience, a sane well thought out network is
not the standard unfortunately. To get back to your example, not every
company may have the will, foresight or resources to install a second
LAN just for external people.

> What we really need to solve is better error fallbacks in the web
> browser (Epiphany).  Instead of popping up a dialog, it should do what
> IE does and display an error page.  The error page would have links to
> the proxy configuration, etc (I think IE does this too).  In the proxy
> configuration dialog, there could be a checkbox for "Use this proxy for
> this network session" or something like that.  NetworkManager would then
> know to reset the proxy GConf key after the network changes.

Actually I think that displaying browser errors in a web page isn't such
a good idea, even if IE does it ;-). Any error detected in the browser
should be distinguishable as such, buttons to reach proxy configuration
are put there as easily as links on a web page.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com