upgrade to rawhide report

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 21:23:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 22:15 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:

> To get back to your example, not every
> company may have the will, foresight or resources to install a second
> LAN just for external people.

Sure.  I don't think we can handle every possible case with zero
configuration.  But the point is to try very hard to handle as much of
it as possible.

> Actually I think that displaying browser errors in a web page isn't such
> a good idea, even if IE does it ;-).

I'm not saying that because IE does it it's a good idea, but rather it
is a good idea that IE happens to do.  The error page is a lot less
intrusive than a dialog (even if we fixed the bug where a "host not
found" dialog blocks the entire browser mainloop, it's still nicer to
have an error in the place of origin), and is able to provide a lot more
information.

> Any error detected in the browser
> should be distinguishable as such,

Why is that?

> buttons to reach proxy configuration
> are put there as easily as links on a web page.

Sure, but see above.