With udev, are dev and MAKEDEV still required?

David T Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Wed Aug 25 01:15:34 UTC 2004

With udev now handling /dev and repopulating upon reboot, it seems that
the dev and MAKEDEV packages are no longer relevant.  However, they can
not be uninstalled due to manual requirements for some packages:

[root at dhollis-lnx i2c]# rpm -e dev MAKEDEV
error: Failed dependencies:
        dev is needed by (installed) which-2.16-4
        dev is needed by (installed) mod_ssl-2.0.50-4
        dev is needed by (installed) kdelibs-3.3.0-1
        dev is needed by (installed) mkinitrd-4.1.1-1
        dev is needed by (installed) initscripts-7.67-1
        MAKEDEV >= 3.0 is needed by (installed) raidtools-1.00.3-8

I'm not terribly concerned about these packages from a space perspective
(especially since all of dev's files get blown away anyway!) but now rpm
--verify dev  blows up in all kinds of fun ways since all of its files
are missing.  With the active discussions about udev, I'm quite certain
that it is not the only way to do things at this point and the dev and
MAKEDEV packages will remain for those that prefer that method, but
should these dependencies be investigated to see just how necessary they
really are?

--
David T Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>