upgrade to rawhide report

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Wed Aug 25 16:47:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 11:57 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 23:23, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 22:15 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> >
> > > To get back to your example, not every
> > > company may have the will, foresight or resources to install a second
> > > LAN just for external people.
> >
> > Sure.  I don't think we can handle every possible case with zero
> > configuration.  But the point is to try very hard to handle as much of
> > it as possible.
>
> Of course, contrary to how my posts may have sounded like I really
> appreciate if there are automatisms for these sane, common cases.

Well at the very worst, Preferences->Network Proxy is still there.  What
it could use is a "Set for this network session only" or something, by
being integrated with NetworkManager.

> > > Any error detected in the browser
> > > should be distinguishable as such,
> >
> > Why is that?
>
> Other than the usual power user's whine of me, having it as a web page
> may have potential security implications -- if there are holes found in
> the browser, we might have people trying to exploit the fact that this
> error is displayed as a web page, i.e. phishing, e.g. directing people
> to other web pages that look more or less exactly like this, the "please
> change your proxy setting" which would of course be a proxy under their
> control.

I don't think that the "please change your proxy setting" URL would be
able to change the proxy itself.  It would simply launch the proxy
preference dialog.  And certainly the browser should be configured so
that the preference dialog can only be launched from its internally-
generated error page.