rawhide reports--anybody got these archived exclusively?

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ollie.clive.ia.us
Thu Aug 26 04:52:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 06:10 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:49:39 -0500, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
>
> > http://fw07.dmacc.net/rawhide-reports/ (HTML index of all reports)
> >
> > Feedback welcome.
>
> Surely you can do something to obfuscate all the e-mail addresses within
> the spec file changelog comments. Right now they are even clickable and
> easy prey for e-mail address harvesters.

Sigh... I suppose that this is a "religious" view that I'm about to butt
heads with a few people on, but here's my take on "obscuring" email
addresses in archives, etc:

It's my feeling that obscuring email addresses in archives is pointless.
First of all, you have to convince *everyone* to obscure email
addresses.  That task in itself is impossible.  Even if you could
convince everyone to obscure email addresses, it's likely that many
people would obscure email addresses in the same way which would make it
easy for spammers to harvest the addresses.  And then, if you managed to
get everyone to obscure email addresses in a manner that would prevent
spammers from harvesting them, spammers would just sign up for every
email list and create their own archives (if they don't already).

Spam is a fact of life that obscuring email addresses won't change.  The
only effective spam tools that I have found are the "bayesian" filtering
tools, although I wish that they were better integrated into the various
email servers and clients.

Jeff