my system needs manual network ifup after boot

Bob Gustafson bobgus at rcn.com
Sat Aug 28 13:25:52 UTC 2004

My system (i686, scsi, ipv4) is not so happy at the moment.

yum update at the moment, but MAKEDEV may or may not be up2date
%pre message says it cannot install because of /devfs,
but bottom line message says 'Success' ??

Same messages with 'yum update dev'

Version number of either MAKEDEV or dev was 3.9.1-1.i386

When the boot finally ends and I log in, I needed to manually ifup the eth0

su
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup eth0

If I then go back to user and startx

exit
startx

My Gnome desktop comes up, but stays up and controllable for about a minute.

I was able to start Mozilla, and start creating a bug report, but then
after I had almost all of the text typed, all I could move was the mouse
cursor - everything else was frozen.

Fortunately the code behind the power button has been nicely massaged. A
single click will put the system into a graceful shutdown.

Hope this email will offer some clues.

BobG