yum 2.1.0

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Tue Aug 31 09:44:21 UTC 2004

On tis, 2004-08-31 at 03:16 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Hi All,

[snip]

> I'm pleased(sorta) to announce yum 2.1.0. This is using the new xml-
> based repository metadata (http://linux.duke.edu/metadata).

[snip]

Excellent work Seth!

I threw together a local repo for FC3test1 by loopback mounting the
isos, and ran a few update tests against FC2.

A complete complete update consumed about 40 seconds of cpu time for
calculating the dependencies, down from maybe 5-10 minutes (haven't
tried myself, but I've seen figures elsewhere).

An update such as xorg-x11, which grabbed 5 other xorg-* packages with
it, took maybe 2-3 seconds. With yum 2.0, such an update would take at
least around 30 seconds.

This is on an 1.4 GHz AMD, 512 RAM.

When wil apt/upda2date read this metadata, and are there any mirrors
that plan to use this metadata on fc2+updates any time soon?

/Peter

--
Peter Backlund <peter.backlund at home.se>