cross compiler packaging (was: Self-introduction: Dan Kegel)

dhollis at davehollis.com dhollis at davehollis.com
Thu Aug 5 19:02:20 UTC 2004

Quoting Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>:

> --On Saturday, July 31, 2004 9:58 PM -0700 Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>
> > 5. Your goals in the Fedora Project
> > * Which packages do you want to see published?
> > I'm interested in cross-compilers.  Specifically,
> > I'm adding RPM support to the gcc/glibc cross-toolchain build script
> > http://kegel.com/crosstool, and would like to see this make
> > it into Fedora.  I'll probably need a fair bit of hand-holding
> > with the RPM naming and structuring...
>
> I'd be willing to lend a hand. I've taken a stab at that in the past when
> helping to package the tools for Blackfin uClinux.

Cross-compiler support would be pretty slick.  I've dabbled in it myself in the
past, tweaking the spec files for binutils, gcc etc to allow a cross compiler
to be built using the --target <arch> option.  I'm quite sure that the logic I
used would blow up if the host arch was not x86, but that's the sort of thing
that can be worked out within the community.

Which packages would be 'core' to a cross compiler toolchain?  binutils, gcc,
glibc of course, any others?

If anyone is interested, I can send up some patches I've made to the spec files
to allow for cross compiler builds.