clean up updates/testing

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Aug 9 05:57:16 UTC 2004

On Aug  6, 2004, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:16:29 +0200, Farkas Levente <lfarkas at bppiac.hu> wrote:

>> is there any reason why outdated rpms are in updates/testing/ directory?

> Why is it confusing?

Only in that one can't assume the packages in testing are always >=
packages in released updates.

Personally, I'd much rather have packages in testing never *moved* to
released updates, but rather have testing be a superset of the
released updates.  With hard- or soft-links, this would be no
additional space, and then those that want to track the testing repo
wouldn't have to have another repository in his tree.

Why does it matter?  My reason has to do with web caching.  I do track
testing updates on all of my boxes at home.  It annoys me immensely
when, after downloading a large update such as say kernel, xorg-x11 or
openoffice.org on one of the boxes, I start rolling the update onto
the other boxes, and, because the rpms were moved from testing to
official updates, I either get a failure to download the rpms because
(outdated in web cache) header.info for testing updates says they
should still be there but they were (re)moved, or I end up having to
download the rpms again, now from the released updates.