packaging pyc files - again

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Aug 9 10:51:19 UTC 2004

Zoltan Kota wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There was a thread in this list about packaging python pyc and pyo files:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-February/msg00115.html
> As I see there was no consensus if pyc files should be included
> or %ghost-ed.
> The spec template of fedora-rpmdevtools mentions only that *.pyo should be
> marked as %ghost.
> I am submitting a python application to Fedora Extras which contains the
> pyc files by default. It is not clear if I should %ghost the pyc files or
> not (my srpm was set as NEEDSWORK in fedora.us). As I know having the pyc
> files might make the application to load a
> bit faster. Since the program is executed normally by normal users, the
> pyc files cannot be created automatically by python in /usr/share/app
> where the files are installed.
> Please help me to clarify what to do.
>
> Zoltan

.pyc files should be included so that rpm -V is actually able to verify
the integrity of those files.  I have no strong opinion about .pyo being
included or %ghost'ed.  I personally have included them in packages that
I have fixed.

See up2date and mailman for examples of how to build the .pyc and .pyo
files during package build.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com