xscale port of fedora core 2

Lennert Buytenhek buytenh at wantstofly.org
Tue Aug 10 18:44:53 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 02:38:21PM -0400, Paul Iadonisi wrote:

> > [ For those not in the know: the IXP2400 is basically just an xscale
> >   (which is Intel's version of ARM) processor, with some extra on-chip
> >   processing logic for fast network processing.  The chip itself has
> >   an integrated memory controller, 64b/66MHz PCI unit, 4Gbps SPI-3 bus,
> >   and 8 on-chip processors which have a very simple instruction set
> >   designed to do network-related things such as switching, routing,
> >   firewalling, etc.  It can do full wire speed 4xGbps processing, and
> >   its bigger brother, the IXP2800, does full wire speed 10xGbps.  ]
>
>   So how close is this processor to the older StrongArm processor used
> in the now orphaned Netwinder?

I don't think xscale code runs on the strongarm.

I'm not sure if strongarm code runs on the xscale -- can you send
me a statically linked hello world binary to find out?  (Is the
strongarm mixed endian like the xscale?)

>   There's actually a port of Red Hat 9 to the netwinder (called Gonzo),
> but I don't know if it's still available at ftp.netwinder.org, though I
> do have a copy, along with some patches I came up with to get more
> packages to build.  (Aside: one of the key fixes, which you might have
> already found, is getting libtool to recognize the platform correctly.
> That allows a non-trivial number of other packages to build.  Though
> this may already be fixed in more recent versions of libtool, I don't
> know.)
>   There were some issues with the firmware source not being
> redistributable, but the binaries being included in the nw9 image
> (though it was an obvious GPL violation on the part of those who made
> the modifications, since it is, in fact, based on Linux), but I can at
> least make the image without the firmware available and/or my patches.

I'm interested.  I can't seem to access ftp.netwinder.org at the moment.
Can you send me (pointers to) whatever you've got?

thanks,
Lennert