Using updates-testing was [Re: Device change for Sil 3112 in latest kernel]

Dawid Gajownik fedora_devel_list at poczta.fm
Tue Aug 10 19:36:19 UTC 2004

Sorry, that it took me so long, but I had small problem with my system.
I tried to install all available kernels with:

rpm -ivh kernel-*.rpm --oldpackage

but only few of them had installed. I had to repeat this command with
every single kernel. Unfortunatelly with the latest one I got error -990
from rpm (cpio couldn't extract some files). I downloaded rpm package
once again and tried to install it once more. Well, error -990 also
appeared but at this try db4 (?) told me about sync and input/output
errors :/

At this moment I lost control over my system: bash could not have found
any program (ps, df, mc, etc.). I thought that it was KDE problem, so I
switched to the console where I was previously logged in. Situation
hadn't have changed, so I tried to log in to the next terminal. I saw only

mingetty respawning to fast, disabling for 5 minutes (or something)

After that I pressed SysRq+ALT+U and SysRq+ALT+B

Hmm... I lost /etc/fstab. In /var/log/messages I found this:

http://gajownik.fm.interia.pl/xfs_error.txt

My / is on XFS filesystem and this bug happend with
2.6.7-1.494_6.rhfc2.at kernel. I tried to reproduce it but with no
results :(

08/09/2004 01:27 PM, Axel Thimm wrote:

> Dawid, please post the uname -r of your kernel, the matching rawhide
>  kernel should then have the fix.

I checked all available kernels and here are results:
2.6.5-1.358 OK
2.6.6-1.427 OK
2.6.6-1.435 OK
2.6.6-1.435.2.1 OK
2.6.6-1.435.2.3 OK
2.6.7-1.494.2.2 BROKEN
2.6.7-1.494.2.2.root OK (in SPEC file I only disabled building SMP kernel)
2.6.7-1.494_6.rhfc2.at OK
2.6.7-1.499_7.rhfc2.at OK
2.6.7-1.509 OK

I don't understand one thing - previously kernel-2.6.6-1.427 was broken
:() Value shown on the console has also changed - from 2707 to 1273.