xscale port of fedora core 2

Eli Carter eli.carter at inet.com
Tue Aug 10 20:44:04 UTC 2004

Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 02:38:21PM -0400, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
>

>>>[ For those not in the know: the IXP2400 is basically just an xscale
>>>  (which is Intel's version of ARM) processor, with some extra on-chip
>>>  processing logic for fast network processing.  The chip itself has
>>>  an integrated memory controller, 64b/66MHz PCI unit, 4Gbps SPI-3 bus,
>>>  and 8 on-chip processors which have a very simple instruction set
>>>  designed to do network-related things such as switching, routing,
>>>  firewalling, etc.  It can do full wire speed 4xGbps processing, and
>>>  its bigger brother, the IXP2800, does full wire speed 10xGbps.  ]
>>
>>  So how close is this processor to the older StrongArm processor used
>>in the now orphaned Netwinder?
>

> I don't think xscale code runs on the strongarm.
>
> I'm not sure if strongarm code runs on the xscale -- can you send
> me a statically linked hello world binary to find out?  (Is the
> strongarm mixed endian like the xscale?)

ARM is to XScale as 486 is to Pentium. (Strong)ARM code runs on XScale
just fine.

I think ARM is typically LE, but it may be possible to run BE, I don't
remember off the top of my head.  I believe the Zaurus is LE.

HTH,

Eli
--------------------. "If it ain't broke now,
Eli Carter           \                  it will be soon." -- crypto-gram
eli.carter(a)inet.com `-------------------------------------------------

Confidentiality Notice:   This e-mail transmission may contain
confidential and/or privileged information that is intended only for the
individual or entity named in the e-mail address. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or reliance upon the contents of this e-mail
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
transmission in error, please reply to the sender, so that proper
delivery can be arranged, and please delete the message from your
computer.  Thank you.
Inet Technologies, Inc.