Broadcasting Annoyances

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Wed Aug 11 20:40:50 UTC 2004

Hello Janina,

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 15:05, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Am I the only person who's sick and tired of all manner of error
> messages that are being splattered across all open console logins just
> because some programmer wants to do that?

/etc/syslog.conf can be edited to change syslogs behaviour. Also the
sysctl.conf kernel.printk values can be changed to set klogd's
verbosity.

On my firewall I use:
in /etc/sysctl.conf:
kernel.printk = 4 4 1 7
so only warnings or worse are logged to the console

in /etc/syslog.conf:
kern.warning				/dev/console
kern.notice				/dev/tty9
*.debug					/dev/tty10
(not sure if the first line is redundant, check for yourself)

Leonard.