Suggestion for an altered portmap package

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 00:37:08 UTC 2004

>As I don't use NFS or NIS on my desktop, either, I've long wanted to be
>able to tell portmap to bind to the loopback interface only, following a
>security principle of making daemons listen to the least possible
>interfaces. There doesn't seem to be a way to do that, so I've tried
>creating an altered portmap package.

Hi,

I am the co-maintainer of xinetd. You should be able to secure portmap without
touching the code. I am not familiar with Fedora or Red Hat's xinetd settings
since I do my own as part of xinetd development. But I use this in /etc/xinetd.d
saved as sgi_fam:

service sgi_fam
{
        type         = RPC UNLISTED
        flags        = NOLIBWRAP
        socket_type  = stream
        user         = root
        group        = root
        server       = /usr/bin/fam
        wait         = yes
        protocol     = tcp
        rpc_version  = 2
        rpc_number   = 391002
        bind         = 127.0.0.1
}

Then in /etc/hosts.allow, I set:

portmap: 127.0.0.1

I also then use fwbuilder to create an iptables setup that insulates all daemons
except what that machine was designed for.

Does this help? It is trivial to modify portmap to take a commandline argument
and bind to that interface. But a system can be secured without touching
portmapper's code.

-Steve Grubb