REQUEST: Network Interface Failover and multi-DNS resolution

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Thu Aug 12 19:13:10 UTC 2004

On Thursday 12 August 2004 12:04, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
> I have a box with two ethernet cards, each one connected to a
> different local network ("staff" and "students"). Each one of the
> networks has a DNS server to resolve internal names.
>
> The problem is: I can only resolve hosts that are on the eth0
> connected LAN ("staff"). To access hosts on the other network I have
> to use their IP address directly.
>
> This prompts me to request two features (independent of each other):
>
>    1. be able to resolve names using both DNSes;

Why can't you list the second DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf?  Also you
can specify multiple domains to search for base names in.  EG:

/etc/resolv.conf:
search hq.pogolinux.com ks.pogolinux.com
nameserver 192.168.1.2
nameserver 192.168.2.2

On this system, one nic is .1 subnet, while the other nic is .2 subnet.
One subnet is hq, the other is ks.  Given that I listed both search
domains, I can do things like "ping fred" and "ping barney"  given that
fred is on HQ and barney is on KS.  Name lookups will work and things
will be happy.

Was I helpful?  Let others know: