initscripts maclist [patch]

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 21:55:52 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have a patch against the current initscripts that I would like to share. What
the patch does is adds a step during interface initialization to preload mac
addresses. It works very similar to routes or aliases. I know people do something
ad hoc to do the same thing like /etc/ethers, but this sort of formalizes the
practice and makes it per interface. This works out nicely with netplugd.

The patch includes a simple utility to create proper mac entries for the maclist.
Suppose for example you wanted to preload the mac addresses of ns1, ns2 and
gateway into the arp table whenever the eth0 interface comes up. You would:

ip2mac 192.168.1.3 > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/maclist-eth0
ip2mac 192.168.1.2 >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/maclist-eth0
ip2mac 192.168.1.1 >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/maclist-eth0

Then ifdown & ifup eth0 and its got those mac addresses loaded.

The patch can be downloaded from:
http://www.web-insights.net/initscripts-7.61.1-maclist.patch

You need to make sure ip2mac and ifup-maclist are chmod 0755.

Bug reports, improvements, and comments are welcome.

Thanks,
-Steve Grubb