gqview removed from rawhide

Jim Cornette music-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 13 03:59:28 UTC 2004

Christopher Aillon wrote:

> Just a note that gqview just got removed from rawhide.  It has the
> same mission statement as gthumb and uses raster code internally.
> Yes, I know there are people who use it still.  I suggest this can
> move over to Fedora Extras if people really want it.

I feel that gqview is a great program for dealing with graphics. I hate
to have it leave the fold of programs provided within core. I hope that
this program enriches the Fedora Extras fold.

Thanks for the heads up. It saves me from looking for it if doing a
clean install. This is one program that is selected by me during fresh
installs.

Out of curiosity, what made this program and others fall by the wayside?
Are there usage reports gathered somewhere regarding what programs are
favored by users? Do people just get tired of maintaining one, then push
users to a lesser program? (Mutt vs. Pine or similar changes)

Jim

--
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
rearranging their prejudices.