Should kernels be upgraded or installed.

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Fri Aug 13 20:49:41 UTC 2004

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 03:05:01 +1000, Colin Charles wrote:

> > > True -- but that doesn't mean we can't keep the old one around just in
> > > case. I wouldn't suggest the old kernel should be the _default_.
> >
> > The new kernel should just work. Everything else would be a bug.
>
> And then there are cases when they don't work. And lo and behold, you
> don't have another working kernel to boot from. It gets really
> interesting when you're travelling, and have no other boxes, and least
> of all a rescue CD handy :P
>
> Not saying that this happens with FC stable, but if you're tracking
> Rawhide...

Hehe, you're tracking Rawhide even when you're travelling? ;-)

> I was under the impression that we do keep them. A simple ls of /boot on
> a stock FC2 system that just got updated whenver updates got released,
> shows:

This thread is about Anaconda, the installer, not about up2date/yum/apt
(who keep old kernels). OP wrote:

: Hence I was a little bit surprised when I upgraded my powerbook to
: rawhide and the installer removed all the old kernels, leaving only the
: latest kernel with a broken initrd that didn't boot.

See: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/129640