Should kernels be upgraded or installed.

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Sat Aug 14 06:00:11 UTC 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:56:58 +0100
David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:

> Hence I was a little bit surprised when I upgraded my powerbook to
> rawhide and the installer removed all the old kernels, leaving only the
> latest kernel with a broken initrd that didn't boot.
>[...]
> If the general consensus is that the installer is correct, then we
> should be consistent about it -- we should change up2date and yum to
> upgrade rather than install kernel packages too.

An upgrade by the way of an installer consitute a major flag day.
I think it's a little disingenious for you to pretend you see no
difference between running up2date to get security patches and
doing a major upgrade.

There is a major advantage to know what is safe and what is unsafe
beforehand, that is why we have releases in the first place. You do
have to back up everything before doing an upgrade (which is something
you apparently forgot to do), but not before an update.

-- Pete