Should kernels be upgraded or installed.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Aug 14 08:16:07 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 03:05 +1000, Colin Charles wrote:
> Not saying that this happens with FC stable, but if you're tracking
> Rawhide...

It happens with stable releases too.

It happened for me with RHL9 -- the shipped kernel didn't boot and I was
left with none.

It happened for me at least once before -- I don't remember when but I
know that the volley of swearwords I hurled at the installer when RHL9
rendered the box unbootable was fuelled in part by previous similar
experience.

And it happened for me again with rawhide last week.

> I was under the impression that we do keep them.

Up2date and yum do keep them. Once upon a time I think they didn't, but
people rightly complained that 'rpm -U' on a kernel is a very silly
thing to do, and it was fixed.

Now I'm making the same complaint about the installer, because it's
bitten me _again_.

--
dwmw2