mkinitrd clue

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 14 12:26:24 UTC 2004

Hi,

During the hurricane I was able to figure out part of what's wrong with mkinitrd.
The power kept going out so I couldn't let any one know.

I use this in grub.conf: kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7-1.515.build ro root=0803

The problem seems to be that the code that recognizes numeric device
representations changed. The function name_to_dev_t is responsible for taking the
numeric representation and turning it into a device number. As is, it returns a
0. The problem seems to be related to this define #if kernel_had_not_done_it

When that is defined, it swings in the code that converts the numeric
representation to a real device number. I tracked this down first by changing the
error messages to use strerror rather than reporting a numeric, meaningless,
error. I highly recommend reworking the error messages to either say "errno: %d"
or use strerror. (I though errror 6 during mount really was mount's bitmapped
error code instead of errno.)

I'm now stuck at the next problem which is the exec'ing of init. It is reporting
errno 14, illegal address.

-Steve Grubb