UP kernel on smp box ... Why?

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sun Aug 15 07:02:46 UTC 2004

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 00:59, Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net> wrote:
> Is there any reason to continue to download and install the up kernel
> when smp is known to work well on a particular system?
>
> I made some use of the up kernels when first building my dual Opteron
> box, but they've just been dead weight and extra effort recently, and
> I'm thinking of just ignoring them from now on. Am I wrong to do so?

For the initial install it's definitely a good idea to have a UP kernel.  One
of the recent machines I installed Fedora on did not work with a SMP kernel
(for reasons I never figured out), but it worked well on UP and I had no
immediate need for a second CPU.

Once you have a machine running well on SMP there is no real need for a UP
kernel (IMHO).  If you upgrade to a new SMP kernel which breaks then you can
UP kernel.

Would it be possible to have a UP kernel not get upgraded on a SMP system?