Installing MIME type handlers

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Mon Aug 16 12:40:39 UTC 2004

The recent updates to eog and file-roller say that they now update the
MIME types cache, but (from discussions) I think the change is made
incorrectly.

Most, if not all, of our packages with .desktop files use
desktop-file-install in the %install stage of the RPM, i.e. at package
build time not package install time.  The new
'--rebuild-mime-info-cache' option, however, needs to be supplied on
the target system, i.e. at package install time.

What is the correct way to package a file that contains a MIME
handler?  Where should the .desktop file be shipped in the manifest,
and what should the package %post scriptlet look like?

Thanks,
Tim.
*/