encrypted root fs

Josiah Royse jroyse at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 14:47:22 UTC 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:40:55 +1000, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:
> > If the goal is for an encrypted filesystem- why not just have a script
> > interface early on in the boot process to prompt for a password for
> > the encrypted file system - in order to mount the encrypted ones?  Or
>
> I am thinking of making it an option to take a file of random data, a
> user-entered password, or an XOR of both of them.

I like it!  Basically a poor-man's smartcard of sorts.  Much easier to
test/develop for since USB keys are easy to find.

Removing the USB key after boot in this senario would not affect it,
since the key is read once, correct?  Down the road perhaps the UI
would be patched to recognize the removal of the smartcard/like device
and lock the screen.  Just a thought!

--Josiah