LVM snapshot

Paul Jakma paul at dishone.st
Tue Aug 17 04:03:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Russell Coker wrote:

> I just tried rebooted that machine.  The LVM setup seems mangled and it
> doesn't boot successfully.

Ah yum. You need to make a copy of the most recent /etc/lvm/archive/
lvm config (the lvm tools should archive automatically) and delete
the snapshop. (just do a diff between that file and the previous
archived lvm config to see which lines to delete), then vgcfgrestore
the edited sans-snapshot file.

Though, if your rootfs is on LVM you possibly will have difficulty
completing above[1].

I think recentish Arjan kernels have dm-mirror support included,
which removes this problem. However, it seems quite flakey. Eg,
taking multiple snapshots of same filesystem seems to kill things..

1. A good reason to not put root on LVM - your rootfs is your primary
rescue partition.. Why would you need LVM for root fs anyway?

regards,
Fortune:
A kind of Batman of contemporary letters.
 		-- Philip Larkin on Anthony Burgess