Questions about minimal install

Wed Aug 18 15:56:32 UTC 2004

Martin Olsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just tried the minimal install image and I was a bit
> disappointed. Here are my thoughts, I hope someone listens -- that's
> the only way you could make a good OS.
>
> - Exactly what packages where installed? It looked like a lot of
> unnecessary packages was included.
>
> - Why could I not choose my file system? I wanted reiserfs instead.

ReiserFS is not recommended, but you can select it when you enter "linux
reiserfs" at the boot prompt.

> - yum did not work, it says only "Server: Fedora Core 2" and then
> does nothing? I suspect this was some type of server downtime problem
> (I could ping other hosts etc) but in such a critical system should
> not there be some serious fault tolerance / backups mechanisms?
>
> - Why is there no netinstall like debian? ie I download a floppy or
> minimal CD and then it downloads only the packages I actually want
> and also the latest versions.

There is a minimal boot CD (4 MB file size):
<http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/images/boot.iso>

You can even install select the medium to install from when booting from
the normal CD, just enter "linux askmethod" at the boot prompt. The
available options in the installer are FTP, HTTP, local CD image (on
HD, so you do not have to burn them) and NFS (iirc).

Regards,
Andreas

P.S.
Please don't hijack other threads.