multihomed NFS automounts.

Jeremy A. Rosengren jeremy at rosengren.org
Fri Aug 20 06:18:20 UTC 2004

Sorry for the detail, I want to make sure my question is understood :)

At the office, we use NIS automounts extensively.  Quite often, we'll
have the same data mirrored in multiple offices, located in different
physical buildings.  The automounter in Solaris supports multihomed
automount maps, so that a client machine will try to mount the closest
server (ie, on its subnet) first before trying others.  For example:

#ypcat -k auto_project
project1	fileserver1,fileserver2:/vol/vol0/data/project1

To make autofs in Fedora Core < 2 support these multihomed mounts, an
ex-employee wrote a patch to the nfsmount code in util-linux that does a
quick check to determine the network response time of the server, and
then mounts the server with the lowest response time, the assumption
being that the lowest response time means the server is on the same
subnet as the client machine, or at least is the best mount candidate.

As of FC2 + util-linux-2.12a from rawhide (used to support sloppy
mounting of mounts with unsupported options), I'm no longer able to
rebuild util-linux with the patch.  The NFS4 patches to util-linux seem
to conflict.  util-linux-2.12, included in FC2, seems to pick the first
host in the list and mounts that, even if the first host is the furthest
away from the client.

Question #1:  Does anybody know if multihomed NFS automounts are a
feature destined to be included in future versions of util-linux?

Question #2:  Would anybody be interested in the patch we have that was
easy to apply to util-linux-2.11y but doesn't seem to work out of the
box with 2.12a?  The ex-employee did try to submit the patch to the
upstream maintainers, but never received a response from them at the time.

Question #3:  Is this really supported and I just didn't find the magic
incantation?

Thanks,

-- jeremy