multihomed NFS automounts.

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Aug 20 07:31:11 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 08:18, Jeremy A. Rosengren wrote:

> Question #1:  Does anybody know if multihomed NFS automounts are a
> feature destined to be included in future versions of util-linux?

Automounts are not a feature of util-linux but the autofs package. Any
changes needed for multihomed setups should be done there, adding magic
to mount isn't the thing to do IMO.

> Question #2:  Would anybody be interested in the patch we have that was
> easy to apply to util-linux-2.11y but doesn't seem to work out of the
> box with 2.12a?  The ex-employee did try to submit the patch to the
> upstream maintainers, but never received a response from them at the time.

I'd like to say that this is for the above reason, but I found the
maintainer address unresponsive as well...

> Question #3:  Is this really supported and I just didn't find the magic
> incantation?

I don't think so. Instead of tweaking util-linux -- which is the wrong
thing to do I think -- consider patching autofs. Whether "lowest
response time" or "least number of hops as per traceroute" are an
indicator to be used is debatable.

Please open an RFE in bugzilla against autofs, attach your patch there
("this is what we did to util-linux to get the functionality") so that
things don't get lost.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com