Lastest Kernel update breaks k3b

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 20 07:58:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 00:45, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> ok I thought you had since you say it's a known bug....

Yes, it's likely the SCSI command filtering that got stuck into 2.6.8
(there are a couple of threads about this on LKML) in order to prevent
ordinary users (i.e. without CAP_SYS_RAWIO) from sending potentially
dangerous commands to drives (e.g. firmware updates). The list of
allowed commands apparently isn't long enough to let ordinary users
write CDs.

This is the main thread where it's discussed on LKML (linking to a
convenient point where the problem is explained, follow the thread for
more info...)
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0408.2/0091.html

> Anyway make sure you're not using ide-scsi on the kernel commandline, and
> file a bug in bugzilla with dmesg output etc attached...

If it broke now, this has nothing to do with it. Probably the command
whitelist needs to be extended a bit. I don't know if anyone has figured
out exactly how much just yet...

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University