Lastest Kernel update breaks k3b

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Fri Aug 20 16:47:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 10:17 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> AvdV> what is the bug number you filed during the testing phase of
> AvdV> this kernel?
>
> That's kind of harsh; I tested the kernel during the testing phase,
> but not on the machine used by Mr. Important Professor who wants to
> burn CDs but to whom I'm not dumb enough to give root access.  K3b

k3b uses the cdrecord command line tool to do its work, iirc.  You don't
need to run k3b as root, just make cdrecord setuid.  Which is exactly
how the cdrecord author has always told people to use it.  If you want
to limit who can use cdrecord, change it's group and remove execute
permissions for 'others'.  Then only people in the group (or root) can
execute cdrecord, and because its setuid root, it'll always work.
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.