syslog-ng to replace syslogd

Iago Rubio iago.rubio at hispalinux.es
Sat Aug 21 07:49:37 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 23:16, nathan r. hruby wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, seth vidal wrote:
> If you want a nicer syslog daemon, how about metalog[1] or at least
> something with a config syntax that doesn't require a PhD in Physics to
> understand?

There're other benefits among the easy configuration.

Metalog is buffered and it's really low resurce consuming. I've used it
with gentoo (it's the recommended logger for gentoo with syslog-ng) and
worked like a charm.

ITOH it's buffered architecture make it really bad for developers or
kernel debuggers as log messages does not arise instantly, but when the
buffer is big enought to write it out (the buffering can be disabled).

I'm almost sure it can confuse users/developers.

IMHO it's the best logger for low end machines.
--
Iago Rubio
- Home page    * http://www.iagorubio.com