kernel source/module directions and why windows users are happy

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bppiac.hu
Sun Aug 22 19:55:35 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>>- rename kernel-source to kernel-sourcecode. actualy it doesn't bother
>>me too much, but i don't see any reason for this. this just confuse
>>everyone.
>

> it was done to work around yum/up2date/apt breakage.

afaik it still break yum/up2date etv..:-(

>>- now you simple do NOT ship/build any source code rpm! did you ever ask
>>about it any REAL fc users? did you ever see/talk users who use fc or
>>even linux? eg.: redhat/fedora do not ship ntfs driver even when the
>>kernel contain it. suppose one need it. untill now:
>>   - install kernel and kernel-source[code]
>>   - update (yum, up2date...) update both when new version comes.
>>   - rebuild ntfs module
>>   or simple download the redhat/fedora ntfs driver rpm which has it own
>>   web page, since you don't ship it.
>

> for ntfs you want to use the sourceforge driver (including their source
> I guess)

no. the ntfs driver included in the kernel-sourcecode noarch rpm, at
least it was easier untill now:
--------------------------------
export CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m
cd /usr/src/linux-$version/fs/ntfs
make -C /lib/modules/$version/build
SUBDIRS=/usr/src/linux-$version/fs/ntfs clean
make -C /lib/modules/$version/build
SUBDIRS=/usr/src/linux-$version/fs/ntfs modules
make -C /lib/modules/$version/build
SUBDIRS=/usr/src/linux-$version/fs/ntfs modules_install
depmod -ae
--------------------------------

>>actulay i've got my kernel-update script which recompile ntfs, madwifi,
>>vmware driver etc.
>

> you can't use nor do you need to use kernel-sourcecode for external
> modules.

i've got one script which do all the required stuff. yes i know that only
ntfs driver require kernel-sourcecode. at least in fc2, but in fc3 i
don't know the what will do.
the kernel updates happend too often and ntfs and all external driver
have to be recompile.

>>driver is no longer working how can i download the kernel src.rpm from
>>the net without net access? and i'm sure everyone forget at least once
>>this. i still can compile my drivers, but everyone can do so? do you
>>think it's the right solution.
>

> you don't need the src.rpm to build external drivers.

but need for those driver included in the mainstream kernel but do not
compiled by redhat.